Practice Rooms/Instrument Lockers
The practice facility in Lincoln Hall is open to the entire Cornell community on a first-come, first-served basis. Practice rooms in the basement of Lincoln Hall include eight rooms with grand pianos, five with upright pianos, ten without pianos, and one drum set practice room (accessible only with the permission of the percussion instructor**). A key is needed for grand piano practice rooms (see below); it is issued only to those who make appropriate practice-room arrangements.
- A grand piano practice room may be reserved for up to 12 hours per week for the semester (note: blackout times apply)
- No-piano and upright piano rooms are always unlocked, first-come-first-serve.
- A valid Cornell ID is required.
- Fees are not prorated and are non-refundable.
Practice-room reservations must be made in person in 101 Lincoln Hall. ID cards will be encoded for 24-hour building access after appropriate practice-room fees have been paid. Students in music classes will receive 24-hour access after September 10. For the fall semester, after-hours and special room sign-ups begin on August 10, for the spring on January 2, and for summer on June 1.
Food and beverages are not allowed in Practice Rooms. Please do not place anything atop pianos.
Noncompliance with any health and safety standards may result in loss of practice room privileges.
Practice Room Fees
Fee payments are required in fall, spring, and summer for after-hours and special room access. Fees may be bursared during the fall and spring semesters, but must be paid by cash or check in the summer. The fees listed are per semester.
- Grand piano * $100
- Upright piano $75
- No piano $35
- Drumset **$40
* Note that Grand Piano Practice Rooms are always locked; a key is issued to the user after a $20 key deposit (cash only) and the practice-room fee is paid. The key deposit will be refunded upon return of the key, but is forfeited if the key is lost. To set up access, contact Fumi Nagasaki-Pracel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
** By special permission only. Contact Interim Director of Percussion Program Michael Truesdell at email@example.com (Drumset room only)
Instrument lockers are available for rental. The lockers will be assigned to students via email and a $15 bursar fee will be charged (cash will no longer be accepted).
Interested students should contact Fumi Nagasaki-Pracel (firstname.lastname@example.org) to receive the Locker Agreement Form via email. Send the signed agreement back to Fumi to receive the locker assignment and combination.
For large locker users:
The number of large lockers for cello, guitar, baritone saxophone or other large and/or long instruments is limited, and assignment is prioritized to students who enroll in music ensemble classes. If you would like to sign out a large locker, send an email to Fumi Nagasaki-Pracel (email@example.com). Lockers will be assigned after students’ enrollment in ensembles is confirmed.