You are here
Undergraduate applicants should submit recordings only if they believe that their musical abilities will enhance their application. Recordings must isolate and highlight the applicant; group performances that obscure the ability to assess an individual’s level of talent will not receive evaluation. Electronic file submissions are required.
Performers may submit either audio or video of two or three contrasting selections or portions of thereof (ones that show variety in style, character, etc.). The total length of the recording should not exceed 10 minutes. Recordings longer than 10 minutes may not be viewed in their entirety. If you have multiple abilities, each instrument should be submitted separately, as these are evaluated by different people. All required information listed below and the clickable link to the recording(s) should be included in ONE Word or PDF document for upload.
Composers should submit a PDF file containing one or two scores that are representative of their recent work, and, whenever possible, include a link in the PDF to a recording of the work(s) submitted.
All files uploaded must follow the following naming convention: instrument-lastname-firstname-commonapplicantnumber
In the submission document, please provide the following information:
- Common Application Number (required)
- Full name and e-mail address
- College of application (please note: ILR does not consider supplemental music submissions as part of their application process, though submissions will still be reviewed)
- Indicate one: Early Decision, Regular Decision, or Transfer Admission
- Instrument/voice part
- A list of the selections (with titles and composers) and assisting performers (if applicable)
- Link to the recording (preferably YouTube; instructions for “unlisted” videos are here).
All files must be uploaded into one of the following categories. If you are unsure what category to choose, or your selection includes multiple categories, please upload into “Other Instruments.”
- Jazz/Pop (All Instruments)
- Other Instruments
It is to be understood that any recording or work submitted represents your own work; please consult Cornell’s Code of Academic Integrity for definitions of what constitutes plagiarism.
Recordings sent to the Undergraduate Admissions Office or to any of the individual colleges will not be considered.
Recordings will not be considered if received after November 16 for early decision, January 2 for regular decision, or March 15 for transfer decision.