Admissions, Performance Practice
Students wishing to enroll in the D.M.A. Performance Practice program must have a master’s degree in the major instrument or extensive experience as a professional performer. In exceptional cases a recent bachelor’s degree in the major instrument may be acceptable. For applicants proposing to specialize in the performance of music before 1900, experience with historical instruments is highly desirable.
Application Deadline: December 1
The following materials must be submitted online via the Cornell University Graduate School online application system by December 1:
- Cornell Graduate School Online Application form
- Application Fee
- Personal Statement
- A master’s essay or term paper, demonstrating ability to write about music.
- A live recording of representative works (if unable to submit recording electronically, a copy may be mailed to : Graduate Field Assistant in Music, 101 Lincoln Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-4101)
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty members acquainted with your work
- Transcripts and evidence of foreign language study. (If transcripts do not show evidence of foreign language study, provide another form of documentation)
- TOEFL Scores (see Graduate School TOEFL requirements for further details)
Upon satisfactory review, an on-campus audition will be arranged to be completed by January 30.