Students wishing to enroll in the PhD Musicology program must have a B.A., B.Mus., or M.A. and have completed formal study of a foreign language.
January 15th for Fall admissions. (The Fall semester begins at the end of August)
The following materials must be submitted online via the Cornell University Graduate School online application system:
- Cornell Graduate School Online Application form
- Application Fee
- Personal Statement
- Transcripts and evidence of foreign language study. (If transcripts do not show this evidence, provide another form of documentation).
- TOEFL scores (see Graduate School TOEFL requirements for further details)
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty members acquainted with your work
- Two essays (term or honors papers). Preferably one on a broad topic in musical history or repertory and the other showing detailed study of one or a few pieces of music.
- Optional: A recorded performance on a musical instrument or as a singer (if unable to submit online, a copy may be mailed to: Graduate Field Assistant in Music, Cornell University, 101 Lincoln Hall, Ithaca, NY 14853-4101)