The Music Department and the Sidney Cox Library of Music and Dance are housed in Lincoln Hall, a handsome brick structure built in 1881 that was extensively renovated and expanded in 2000. The new building includes ample practice and rehearsal rooms, well-equipped classrooms, comfortable new offices for faculty and teaching assistants, a specially designed gamelan room, several digital music studios, a digital piano lab, and a spacious, open-stack music library with modern listening, video, and computer facilities and a wide variety of attractive study areas. The Sidney Cox Library of Music and Dance has an excellent collection containing approximately 131,000 periodicals, books, scores, and parts; 56,000 sound and video recordings; and a microfilm collection of early printed and manuscript sources. Its depth and breadth serve the needs of a wide variety of users on the campus. Highlights of the research collection include early opera libretti and scores, eighteenth-century keyboard and chamber music, and an archive of American popular song from 1850-1950.
A $19 million renovation finished in 2000 brought Lincoln Hall into the new age, a Lincoln Hall Renaissance.